Reversing Morrowind's formulas

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Greendogo

Re: Reversing Morrowind's formulas

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:I would like to request a status report on the formulae research, particularly on the acrobatics/athletics stuff, alchemy and ingredients use. So far only the skill gain formulae made it into the wiki, which means the rest is still work in progress. How much progress? Any ETA?
I haven't been back to Athletics for a few weeks after reporting those variables that I think may find their way into the formula and I'm on vacation, so I won't get to testing out those variables until early August. Anyone else can feel free to test them for themselves.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey researching team,

Would you like more help with reverse engineering formulas and testing them? The PR guys will gladly start requesting help if you want us to. Also, it looks like we got some interesting new stuff posted today by a new user. Hope it proves useful to your efforts.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

It would probably be more valuable to have other formulas get some attention rather than load up a lot of new people on the formulas we are already working on.

I think the formulas being worked on already are probably the hardest ones, so anything else might be relatively easier, like Armorer or the magical skills.
Hrnchamd

Post by Hrnchamd »

Heya, started contributing to the wiki.

Updated sections:
  • Blocking
  • Armor Rating
  • Knockdown
  • Trading and services
  • Disposition
  • Acrobatics
Each mechanic now has its own status metadata, formatted via templates. There's an implementation status attribute that implementors should sign off on how well the code matches the specified mechanic. In the status, please enter a link to the specific revision of the page which was implemented, because the documentation and implementation may diverge. It's an all-on-one-page way to check for changes that need to be implemented. Implementors, please annotate the wiki with any bug fixes you find. It's just a start, please suggest any improvements to the metadata.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

:) Very good.

Thank you! You are doing important job.
Syracuse

Post by Syracuse »

Hi there, has anybody thought of attempting to contact Bethesda directly for help with the project? I understand it's been over a decade or so since Morrowind was released, so I don't know how they'd feel about the group re-writing their code, but maybe if somebody on the team asked, you'd be able to strike something off with them? Or if somebody randomly know somebody who worked with Bethesda Softworks, that could work as well lol. But I just think it would be far easier and this project could be completed much quicker if we were able to work with somebody who worked with Bethesda. Unless this is already the case, in which I retract this post. XD
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Syracuse wrote:Hi there, has anybody thought of attempting to contact Bethesda directly for help with the project?
People have, and Bethesda have said that they cannot provide assistance with the project.
Zini

Post by Zini »

btw. do we know anything about training costs? We have someone who is interested in tackling skill training and it would be nice to have this formula soon.
Syracuse

Post by Syracuse »

Not sure how helpful this will be, and it's not reverse engineering, but according to UESP wiki, I found a couple simple ones, and a forum on the topic of Alchemy Formulae and Algorithms.

Your chance to hit is determined by:

Chance to hit = Attacker's weapon skill * 1.25 + Attacker's Attack (e.g. Warrior = 10) - Defender's Sanctuary (e.g. Thief = 10) + (Attacker's Agility - Defender's Agility) * 0.25 + (Attacker's Luck - Defender's Luck) * 0.125

And your armor rating is determined by:

Cuirass * .3 + (Shield + Helm + Greaves + Boots + RPauldron + LPauldron) * .1 + (RGauntlet/Bracer + LGauntlet/Bracer) * .05

Again, not sure if this will help at all, but it's my two cents.

The above two formulae are from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Combat

And the forum on Alchemy formulae can be found at http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24937

About halfway down on that page is a formulae somebody I think reverse-engineered themselves, not sure though.

Cheers!
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

If its on the wiki or listed anywhere obvious, its already been found. I know a few of the formulae have been found, but I am not sure which ones(I know acrobatics was) It would be nice if another thread got started that listed all the formulas still needed as of this point; perhaps then it could be edited as things get found.