OpenMW 0.13.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Re: OpenMW 0.13.0

Post by WeirdSexy »

Alright, I appreciate it sir.

Just curious, are there any plans in the project to increase the game view-distance, MGE style, by v. 1.0 or after? I think many people have gotten too used to playing without the fog + large draw distances to go back.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I'd say the plan eventually is to blow MGE XE out of the water, and I think we have the right man for the job on board. ;)
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Zini wrote:You need to use the data directory, not the Morrowind directory. From what I read in the source this is actually stated in the UI.

The instruction states the directory containing the Data Files. If I point to Data Files nothing happens. If I point the Morrowind directory the launcher starts but with the same problem reported.

The openmw.cfg contain these lines. They don´t change when I point the right directory. Same situation: If I copy/paste my directory the EXE works but the launcher doesn´t start.

data="?mw?Data Files"
resources=resources
Zini

Post by Zini »

The openmw.cfg contain these lines. They don´t change when I point the right directory. Same situation: If I copy/paste my directory the EXE works but the launcher doesn´t start.
Which openmw.cfg file? The global one is not supposed to be changed. The launcher should store it setting in a per-user cfg file. Not exactly sure where to find that on Windows. Probably somewhere in your user directory (or a subdirectory of it).
Not sure what the situation with the Path Grid is, all I know is that I can't get the corresponding console commands to work.
The path grid records were not loaded from the esm file before. Now they are loaded, but we are not doing anything with them yet; so it is just another backend change.

Edit: I think the wording of the dialogue box could use some improvements. I see now that it could be misinterpreted. OpenMW needs the Data Files directory, not the directory containing the Data Files directory (which is the MW directory).
However I am somewhat surprised that this message box comes up at all. Since you are on Windows and have a MW directory, I assume you have MW installed. OpenMW and the launcher should be able to pick up the location of the Data Files on their own.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm not feeling very well at the moment and I'll be away for the weekend. So if there are any more RC releases, someone else will have to do them for Debs. I should be back by Monday.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That's okay. Doesn't look like we need/get a lot more testing anyway. I would like to see some more testes on Windows though, since we had at least two people reporting problems; unfortunately both problem reports did not contain enough usable information.
We should probably go ahead, have a final RC on Monday with the latest fixes and then hopefully release it in unchanged form a day or two after. All those fixes are fairly minimal and I don't expect any more problems.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@FuzzyLights: Completely missed your question about encoding setting in the launcher. Sorry.

We might consider that, but this feature will require some non-trivial design decisions, so I don't want to rush it in. You can set the encoding in the cfg file for now. Use ./openmw --help to get help on available options (they are the same for command line and the cfg file).
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

Zini wrote: Edit: I think the wording of the dialogue box could use some improvements. I see now that it could be misinterpreted. OpenMW needs the Data Files directory, not the directory containing the Data Files directory (which is the MW directory).
However I am somewhat surprised that this message box comes up at all. Since you are on Windows and have a MW directory, I assume you have MW installed. OpenMW and the launcher should be able to pick up the location of the Data Files on their own.
I tested a bit the win32 rc at windows:
1 - If I point to the Data Files directory at the dialogue box it works well with and without launcher. (note that my MW install is a backup copy so it is not a proper install, hence it is not recognised by openmw as there are no correct reg keys)

2 - Sky is gorgeous :), pick up and other sounds seem to work (Vivec water I not tested)

3 - NPC Dialogues works quite well the only thing I noticed that after activation
it take quite a time (5-10 sec) to pop up. Is this normal somebody noticed it as well ?
Zini

Post by Zini »

3 - NPC Dialogues works quite well the only thing I noticed that after activation
it take quite a time (5-10 sec) to pop up. Is this normal somebody noticed it as well ?
Nope. Instant here.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Considering how serious the openmw.cfg bug is, can we have another set of RC packages? If we can't get Linux packages, that is not much of a problem, since this bug mostly affects Windows.