OpenMW on RockPaperShotgun

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zedd

OpenMW on RockPaperShotgun

Post by Zedd »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01 ... rm-engine/

We'll be famous from now on!

HOORAY!
raevol

Re: OpenMW on RockPaperShotgun

Post by raevol »

If Skywind is a shallow attempt to replace the body of Morrowind with something new, shiny and gold-plated, then OpenMW is the equivalent project designed to augment the game’s withered guts.
Brutal...
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

I just wish they hadn't lumped openMW together with Skywind, Morroblivion and Morrowind overhaul. OpenMW is the exact opposite of those projects, they replace all the assets of Morrowind but use an existing engine, while OpenMW keeps the assets but replaces the engine. Skywind and Morroblivion try to replicate Morrowind, but OpenMW is Morrowind, just with new programming.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It’s testament to the game’s appeal that people are so desperate to stop it from aging into obscurity. There’s precious few attempts to do the same for Oblivion.
I wouldn't be too surprised if after OpenMW reaches completion, it is forked and used as a base to make an OpenOB. Which in turn could then be forked into an OpenFO, which leads to OpenNV and OpenSK... One step at a time.
raevol

Post by raevol »

HiPhish wrote:I just wish they hadn't lumped openMW together with Skywind, Morroblivion and Morrowind overhaul. OpenMW is the exact opposite of those projects, they replace all the assets of Morrowind but use an existing engine, while OpenMW keeps the assets but replaces the engine. Skywind and Morroblivion try to replicate Morrowind, but OpenMW is Morrowind, just with new programming.
I'm honestly surprised that they understood what it is as well as they did.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

raevol wrote:I'm honestly surprised that they understood what it is as well as they did.
Much agreement.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Wow. The comments were pretty tame compared to what I was expecting.
raevol

Post by raevol »

edmondo

Post by edmondo »

Not that I've contributed a lot to the project, but the RPS article makes me even prouder of being a very small part of it. :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

raevol wrote:
If Skywind is a shallow attempt to replace the body of Morrowind with something new, shiny and gold-plated, then OpenMW is the equivalent project designed to augment the game’s withered guts.
Brutal...
I can't deny that I produced actual laughter, though. I'm sorry, Skywind team. I know you guys love what you do and you're making a nice product, but the harshness in RPS's writing there was just too much.