Alchemy

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zini

Re: Alchemy

Post by Zini »

Found an entry in the skill record that affects skills gains too. Apparently 4 float values that (according to the source documentation) affect skills differently depending on what skill is considered).

The whole skill gain topic is much more complex then I thought. Maybe we should turn it into a separate research project and give it priority.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

So, how many factors do we have for the equation now?

Level, skill bonus and these four floats. Could the leveling equation be the same for all skills and that these floats just group them in "classes"?

BTW, been looking into AddItem, to speed up the alchemy leveling (prevent that I have to spend time looking for ingredients).
Zini

Post by Zini »

At least these are all parameters I could find. At this point I have no idea how the final formula will look.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

The AddItem speeds things up a lot!

One more thing to consider. The leveling progress (meter from 0 to 100) doesn't go to 100. New level seems to be started when the progress is above 95.

I'll post results later.

EDIT: Forget the part about the progress... Managed to get on on 96.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Results obtained today (and some of the previous results):
http://myckel.freeshell.org/Morrowind_a ... veling.ods

I made a new character with Alchemy as minor skill (started at level 20, so you need to scroll a little down), worked my way up to level 44. After level 20 the fails seem to drop considerably, so alchemy level apparently has some influence.

The yellow colored fields show the cases where a level is gained, while not expected. At lower levels you can apparently have much more points short than higher levels (e.g. 9 at level 6, 3 at level 40).

Tomorrow I hope to reach the higher levels.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Note, that is also important to have a comparison between misc and minor for the same levels.

After this has been addressed, you should try to look into the effects of those 4 floats I mentioned. I assume they can be changed in the CS.

Remember to only change one parameter at a time between runs.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Zini wrote:Note, that is also important to have a comparison between misc and minor for the same levels.
This should now be somewhat reflected in todays results (same link). I also included the leveling of Alchemy as major skill. Seems that the difference in leveling between minor and major is relative small.
Zini wrote: After this has been addressed, you should try to look into the effects of those 4 floats I mentioned. I assume they can be changed in the CS.
I guess the 4 floats are only changed in some mods, and not the "base" game? Does this have such high priority? If they are normally not changed they will most likely add up in a "magic number", not?
I think there are more in-game aspects that should be explored first (influence of intelligence for example).
Zini wrote:Remember to only change one parameter at a time between runs.
I try to keep things as constant as possible.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I guess the 4 floats are only changed in some mods, and not the "base" game?
They are defined in Morowind.esm and (maybe) modified in some plugins.
Does this have such high priority? If they are normally not changed they will most likely add up in a "magic number", not?
I think there are more in-game aspects that should be explored first (influence of intelligence for example).
No. This is a most crucial point. I could have completed my potion/ingredients task today, but not knowing about the meaning of these floats stopped me from it (because else I would have risked having to throw away a large amount of code later). Actually a substantial part of the game mechanics implementation will be on hold until we can decode these values.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

Zini wrote: No. This is a most crucial point. I could have completed my potion/ingredients task today, but not knowing about the meaning of these floats stopped me from it (because else I would have risked having to throw away a large amount of code later). Actually a substantial part of the game mechanics implementation will be on hold until we can decode these values.
Ok, I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I have CS not installed and actually never used it. Could you let me know where to find these 4 values and how to change them? Anything special I should know when changing them? Will it be saved in Morrowind.esm?
Zini

Post by Zini »

You can't save to an esm. Just create a new plugin (esp) for testing.

Not exactly sure where to look for these values. Until I found them in the ESX documentation, I didn't even know that they exist. Probably somewhere in the skill dialogues, I guess.