Morrowind Equations

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
xXShaddowTXx

Re: Morrowind Equations

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

I have an interesting question..

It is a possibility curtain formulas changed when Tribunal/Bloodmoon came out and patched the game.

Shouldn't everyone testing be using the latest patch [BM]?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I, for one, have been. I assume most people have both expansions installed.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah. In theory it is a valid point. But considering how old MW is, I am sceptical that there is a single person on this planet who is interested enough in MW to take part in the OpenMW development and doesn't have the latest version of MW including both expansions.
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Zini wrote:Yeah. In theory it is a valid point. But considering how old MW is, I am sceptical that there is a single person on this planet who is interested enough in MW to take part in the OpenMW development and doesn't have the latest version of MW including both expansions.
This is true! Ha ha.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

This comes from a user on the Bethesda boards named Toccatta.
When I created the training NPCs in Morrowind Crafting to provide training for the new crafting pseudo skills, I worked out the following formula to calculate skill training cost:

Training Cost = 0.43 + 0.062 * ( 200 - PMerc + TMerc - TDisp)) * (skill level + 1)

PMerc = Player's current mercantile score
TMerc = Trainer's current mercantile score
TDisp = Trainer's current disposition score
Skill Level = level of the skill being trained including fortifies, damage, or drain (MCP version = unmodified base skill)

I found this formula matched normal skill training costs within one septim over a number of test scenarios.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Just thinking out loud, but it would be really nice to be able to use the console to enter formulas on the fly in OpenMW to see how close the approximations come when put into practice (this is pointed more towards the physical skills that will be harder to figure out exactly).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Nothing stops you from doing that. Just replace the constants with the actual values and the stats with the respective get instructions.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@Zini: I meant change the constants AND the formulas that use them, on the fly, not just the constants. This would mean being able to open the console and reassigning the formula to whatever you wanted to test out. So, for instance, I could make jump height equal my mercantile skill plus the 42 times my willpower stat (to make my point with an outrageous formula). But the point would be much faster testing for the physical formulas once we've got an equation we think is close. This is probably too much work to implement though, so I'm just day dreaming here.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Hello everyone.

I have been following this project for some months now and I am just baffled that something like this is even possible. I picked up Morrowind for the first time late 2011 (yes, I missed out on a lot of games) and being a Mac user playig in Wine is pretty a pretty suboptimal experience. I really want to see this project at least be able to replace vanilla Morrowind and I want to help out with the formulae. I won't be able to help out with any code, by the time I would be able to catch up OpenMW 2.0 would be out, but I can help collect data points. The problem is I have no idea where to strt, so if someone could point me to which data is most important right now I'd be willing to to get started. I have Morrowind installed in Wine and natively on Windows, so ew don't need to worry about problems caused by Wine.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We already have two people working on the problem now (Myckel and Lazaroth). Please try to coordinate with them. The current focus is on Alchemy, Acrobatics and Athletics.