OpenMW 0.16.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.16.0

Post by Zini »

The situation looks slightly better now. I managed to finish my work on remote local variable access (the x.y syntax) and I also added in some more script instructions. That resulted in nearly all scripts in the tutorial/chargen area being functional now.

You should be able to run through the whole character creation process with only two exceptions:

- NPCs don't move
- The door from the room where the class selection takes place does not open.

I think together with what else we have this is good enough for a release, even if it is a bit smaller then usual.

There is one major problem left. Because of a poorly written script in the class selection room the framerate drops like a stone now while you are in this room. Apparently MW deals better with this script than OpenMW. I'll see if I can implement a workaround (will probably take a couple of days up to a week). If I can get the framerate up again, we can go into RC mode afterwards.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Tested your master branch and I do not notice any slowdown.

happening with both german and english ESM.

console said:

Code: Select all

exeution of script CharGenClassNPC failed.
chargen works except npc and door movement, as you said.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Very strange. Can you run that again with the --script-verbose option?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Can't reproduce it anymore after trying multiple times with both ESM's. No idea what could have changed.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I got the same thing with "CharGenClassNPC failed". Verbose log says this:

Code: Select all

exeution of script CharGenClassNPC failed.
(unknown ID: Player)
I also noticed that when I reviewed my race/birthsign/etc, the Class field was empty (I answered the guy's questions to generate the class). I could change it in the review window and it showed up then, though.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Chris wrote:I also noticed that when I reviewed my race/birthsign/etc, the Class field was empty (I answered the guy's questions to generate the class). I could change it in the review window and it showed up then, though.
I noticed that too. When you answer the questions to select the class, the class does not appear in the final review menu, but the changes do take effect. The other two class selection methods work as expected.

A couple of more issues I noticed with the latest build:
The infamous empty containers bug reared its ugly head again, in Arille's Tradehouse, after I completed the character creation and gave Fargoth his ring, all NPCs naked and all containers empty.
Also, Arrile had the word 'barter' highlighted in his greeting even though it's not a dialogue topic.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is very strange. I would have expected this bug to manifest either consistently for everybody or for no one. Anyway, I pushed a fix to master. More testing please.
The infamous empty containers bug reared its ugly head again, in Arille's Tradehouse, after I completed the character creation and gave Fargoth his ring, all NPCs naked and all containers empty.
Right now I don't have a clue what could causing this problem. When I have a bit more time, I will see if I can reproduce it.

Don't know about the GUI related errors. @scrawl: Any ideas?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Yes, I know about the 2 gui errors. Will push a fix in a while.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:
That is very strange. I would have expected this bug to manifest either consistently for everybody or for no one. Anyway, I pushed a fix to master. More testing please.
I noticed this issue as well. After trying the latest master I didn't see it again.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

I can confirm that the GUI fixes that scrawl pushed work.

On the issue of the empty containers I can reproduce it consistently by doing the following:
Go to Seyda Neen and take the ring in the barrel.
Give it to Fargoth.
Now the containers in Arrile's Tradehouse should be empty.

Also, I've encountered a one in a million bug. If you open a container the moment you get a messagebox with a button and press the OK button then the container elements disappear and you are left with the mouse cursor with nothing to do. You can't leave this mode. I can reproduce this consistently by charging at the barrel with the ring in Seyda Neen while spam-hitting space, although I'm not sure whether other people will be able to reproduce this without an equally atrocious framerate (5 fps).