Physics improvement

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
jhooks1

Re: Physics improvement

Post by jhooks1 »

Had to clone my fork of openengine, couldn't get it working the way you described. Committed the changes. Still don't have it hooked up properly to my openmw branch.

EDIT: Screwed up my openmw branch, will have to remove it and start over.

EDIT2: Made a physicsupdate2 branch, I think everything is hooked up right now.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks okay from here.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Trying to make our physics objects similar to the method in CreateNewPhysicsObjects() in NewPhysics.cpp of Project Aedra. Was hoping for an improvement, so far it crashes.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey Jhooks, just wanted to let you know this is what Tom said about the physics, "... I'm glad that you guys like my physics implementation. Feel free to peek at it and take pieces of it if you like - I might end up using chunks of OpenMW's animations code in the future as well." It's not very important, but I liked that because you're working on both these issues. So it's you and Tom exchanging code. :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

ElderTroll wrote:So it's you and Tom exchanging code. :)
Cross pollination, it helps both survive.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Got rid of the crash but this implementation isn't working for me, collision only works on some objects this way. Probably going to stash the code away (may have to come back later) and try a different approach. To get aedra like physics we may have to use Aedra's modified bullet, which would probably take a while to integrate into our system.

At least the falling bug is gone.

The biggest problems with our implementation are:
1. Stairs - some stairs do not work at all. Others when walking up give a really messed up view, it is like you are stuck in between the steps rocking back and forth.
2. Getting stuck - sometimes we get stuck on or in between objects and we have to turn collision off to get out.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

That's great that the falling bug is gone. That was really annoying. I say do it you should do it. Maybe that could be your main focus for the 0.13.0 release? Are the 0.14.0 and 0.15.0 roadmaps up somewhere?

Also the devs at Ogre were saying that the holdup with 1.8 is that they found some bugs (sound familiar?), but that it should be out soon.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

ElderTroll wrote:Are the 0.14.0 and 0.15.0 roadmaps up somewhere?
http://bugs.openmw.org:81/projects/openmw/roadmap
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Thanks
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

ElderTroll wrote:Hey Jhooks, just wanted to let you know this is what Tom said about the physics, "... I'm glad that you guys like my physics implementation. Feel free to peek at it and take pieces of it if you like - I might end up using chunks of OpenMW's animations code in the future as well." It's not very important, but I liked that because you're working on both these issues. So it's you and Tom exchanging code. :)
What is Tom's email? Wondering which critical bullet components were modified for project aedra.