Kickstarter

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Yacoby

Kickstarter

Post by Yacoby »

EDIT: This isn't the first post. The first post has been removed.

I was like "Wow" and then noticed the names involved in Doublefine ;)

Maybe looking at how well something like 0AD is doing?

If we got the money I doubt anyone would say anything about it. Bethesda would probably be fine with it as well. However, the problem is getting the money.
Last edited by Yacoby on 15 Feb 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
jhooks1

Re: Kickstarter

Post by jhooks1 »

Getting paid to work on this project would be awesome. Don't really know enough details about this and whether people would be willing to pay for a remake of a game that already exists.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not convinced that this is a good idea. The OpenMW project is on marginally legal shaking ground (don't want to get into details here). I don't expect any problems (because it is really marginal as far as I can tell and also because MW is so old), but we should stay clear of anything that looks like a commercial endeavour.

Also, there is the practical side. By the time such a Kickstarter project takes off, we probably will be at OpenMW 1.0 already.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ok, but we still can talk about the idea and how it will change the world.

@ElderTroll
I removed your posts, but plz don't just remove all the content off it next time.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I don't want my idealistic notions getting the project shutdown, but yeah I won't delete them again. If folks want to talk with me just pm me.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Maybe this thread could be renamed "Elder Troll's 101 ways to incite the ire of Bethesda"

New idea: Maybe next year we could apply for the Google Summer of Code?

Ogre3d has done it, ReactOS (an open source operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003) has done it, I'm sure a student would be excited to work on OpenMW.

Just thought I'd put it out there.
raevol

Post by raevol »

:lol:

GSoC would be awesome though...
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

ElderTroll wrote:Maybe this thread could be renamed "Elder Troll's 101 ways to incite the ire of Bethesda"

New idea: Maybe next year we could apply for the Google Summer of Code?

Ogre3d has done it, ReactOS (an open source operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003) has done it, I'm sure a student would be excited to work on OpenMW.

Just thought I'd put it out there.
Why not this year? The application date for Organisation applications isn't until the 9th of March.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I am somewhat sceptical about this idea. First, there is no way we can pull this off this year. Not on such a short notice.
In general I would expect that we are more likely to benefit (and to be accepted) post OpenMW-1.0. The way we are working right now isn't really suitable for a GSoC project.
And then there is the point of money. AFAIK organisations taking part in GSoC are actually paid. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I would like to stay clear of anything involving money (for legal reasons).
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

So not only does the student receive money, but OpenMW would too? Could we redirect the money to a charity- say, childsplay? http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

I don't understand how the way we are organized is a problem. I do understand that post 1.0 they could probably work on one issue that is large- say networking for coop or code, support for more modern model types, or advanced lighting/particle effects.