OpenMW 0.14.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.14.0

Post by Zini »

With 0.13.0 going into the release phase, it is time to look at 0.14.0.

We have a remarkable small number of unfinished task in 0.13.0. Of these I am moving the following to 0.14.0:

* Meshes rendered with wrong orientation
* Keypresses write Text into Console no matter which gui element is active
* Unsupported file format version
* Water Rendering
* Render Path Grid
* Object rotation and scaling
* Window Pinning
* Record Saving
* Advanced MW installation detection on OS X

Currently I have 3 tasks assigned to myself for 0.14.0:

* Contiainer should track changes to its content
* Auto equip
* Support for x.y script syntax

The first two are prerequisites for other tasks. The last is the next step in our plan to get the tutorial part of MW working. During 0.13.0 my tasks tended to spawn additional sub-tasks, which unfortunately stopped me from getting much done. For 0.14.0 I am more optimistic.

We also have:

* Player movement doesn't work properly in some places

Basically a physics rewrite

* Terrain Rendering
* Collision with Terrain

More or less finished, but requires a new OGRE version which is still in RC state. Looks like we might to use it anyway.

* Inventory-, Container- and Trade-Windows

A very important task. I hope that someone is willing to take it. However work on it should not start immediately, since there is a prerequisite task and at least one task that can collide with it.

* Allow ESPs and multiple ESMs

Another very important task.

* Local Map
* Compass/Mini-Map

Both WIP, but they require a new MyGUI version.

* Book and Scroll Windows
* Advanced Journal GUI

Various GUI tasks. Somewhat less important.

* Player Control

Another important task, but also a tricky one. Makes sense only in combination with the physics improvements.

* Render Clothing/Armour

We are waiting for this one for a while. It has still two prerequisite tasks, so work on it can't start immediately.

* Item Stacking in Containers
* Non-Actor animation
* Refactor the sound code
* Update MyGUI

Some other tasks of varying importance.

A large number of these tasks is already claimed and quite a few are in a very advanced state. I think we should aim for a development duration of no longer than a month. So far our attempt at quicker release cycles seems to work well. Therefore we should stick with it.
Zini

Re: OopenMW 0.14.0

Post by Zini »

And since gus mentioned that he would like to implement factions (ties in nicely with the dialogue system), I also added:

* Factions
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.14.0

Post by Zini »

Finished my first task (the last bit of container improvements). As soon as the MyGUI changes are through, someone can start implementing the inventory/container UI and I really hope we find a volunteer, because that is a very important feature. We have all required backend code in place now and the developer doing this part of the UI could even implement trading with NPCs (though that is not a requirement for this task).

Once I have implemented auto equip, the implementation of clothing/armour rendering can start too.
Zini

Post by Zini »

MyGUI has removed from our codebase and OpenMW has been ported to MyGUI 3.2, which is now an additional dependency.

That means the Inventory UI can now be written. Any takers?
hircine

Post by hircine »

Zini wrote:MyGUI has removed from our codebase and OpenMW has been ported to MyGUI 3.2, which is now an additional dependency.

That means the Inventory UI can now be written. Any takers?
I made a start today, with activating Containers, I will have a crack at it.

EDIT: assigned it to myself on the tracker.
Zini

Post by Zini »

There was already one attempt on implementing an inventory GUI. I think the code is still on github. The backend interface has changed since then, but maybe you can salvage some code anyway.

btw. I suggest you start with implementing the player's inventory window. Much easier testing.
hircine

Post by hircine »

Zini wrote:There was already one attempt on implementing an inventory GUI. I think the code is still on github. The backend interface has changed since then, but maybe you can salvage some code anyway.

btw. I suggest you start with implementing the player's inventory window. Much easier testing.
thanks for the advice & info, very much appreciated.

I already have activation and changing the container name.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We are done with 0.13.0. So lets get the show on the road for 0.14.0.

I will do the usual after release cleanup (merging next and master, uploading source documentation and stuff like that). After that I will switch over the master branch to OGRE 1.8. Please note that from that point on everybody needs to use OGRE 1.8 because our code won't be compatible with older OGRE versions anymore.

This may take a few days. Or not. Sorry, I suck at predicting how much time I can make available for OpenMW.

Afterwards everybody should review their branches. There are a couple that look complete or semi-complete. If there are complete you should send me a pull request (make sure to wait until I have completed the steps listed above). If it is semi-complete, you probably want to focus on finishing it up.

With the complete and semi-complete branches merged, we almost have enough material for another release. But let's not rush it. In 0.13.0 we had a huge improvement in the gameplay department (dialogues). I would like to have something similar for 0.14.0. The local map is good, but ideally I would like to include the container GUI. NPC wearing clothing would be nice (yes, I know I am behind on my last preparative task for this issue; will get to it as soon as possible).
Handling of multiple ESX files would also be nice, but we won't delay the 0.14.0 release for it.
Physics improvement sound like there is still a good chunk of work left to do and we need to implement proper player controls anyway to make full use of it. So that might be moved to 0.15.0 instead.

I am aiming for a development duration of 3-4 weeks for 0.14.0; with an option to release it a bit earlier, when terrain, water, inventory GUI and NPC clothing are finished.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

For the devs, there are libogre-1.8.0 packages available on the PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/build

Once we get more space, I will recompile mygui against 1.8, as they are currently compiled against 1.7.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm so excited for this release. We've been waiting for terrain for so long, this release is seriously going to be like Christmas.